Saturday, April 07, 2007

My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

“And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?” Mark 15:34

Just before his death, our Lord felt God had turned his back on him. That’s why he uttered that phrase in Hebrew (even though he spoke Aramaic) that many of us can quote, “Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani.” It should be a comfort to us then to know that even the Son of God thought that the father had forsaken him. There are many times we feel that today. In the face of a trial where there seems to be no deliverance; in a time when we pray and yet the heavens feel like brass; when we fall into times of despondency or depression and find it difficult to get out; when a loved one doesn’t seem to want to follow Christ but seems to go out of their way to rebel against Him and your counsel; All these make us feel that God has forsaken us. But he really hasn’t.

It is not uncommon to feel discouraged or forsaken. David felt the same way.
“My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?” Those who can buy their way out of a problem or try to remedy it by their own means do not grow in faith and could eventually lose the very faith it takes to be a child of God because “The just shall live by faith.” Romans 1:17b Hebrews 10:38 also says, “Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.” Our faith is being tried. James 1:2-4 says the following: “¶ My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.”

David oven goes on to say in Psalms 22:2, “O my God, I cry in the daytime, but thou hearest not; and in the night season, and am not silent.” He has prayed and cried out to God but seemly to no avail. He felt forsaken, not even able to get a prayer through. I am Pentecostal and have always heard and repeated the old phrase, “It’s better felt than ‘telt.’” Another words, I like to feel the spirit of God when I pray, worship, preach, and even talk to others about Him. However, sometimes there is no feeling and it is necessary just to walk by faith.

What to do!


What should we do? Keep praying and serving him. Read the Bible because Paul writes in Romans 10:17, “So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.” It is our roadmap to heaven as well as our guide on earth. I may not always feel his spirit, but I can always read his Word. God doesn’t have to always give a “revelation” or “word of prophesy” although he can as that is scriptural as long is it is in accordance to his Word and it is REALLY from him. He has already spoken to you and I through his Word. If we keep praying and believing, we will be encouraged and he will hear. “Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the LORD.” Psalm 31:24

Psalms 42:5 “Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted in me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him for the help of his countenance.”

Our Lord is no longer on the cross my friend. He’s not in the tomb, nor is he even on the earth in bodily form. But he is coming back. Be ready! “look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.” Luke 21:28

No comments: