Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Commit Your Spirit Unto God

"Into thine hand I commit my spirit: thou hast redeemed me, O LORD God of truth." Psalm 31:5


 

What a wonderful thing it is to be able to commit your spirit unto the Lord. You are made of three elements; the body, soul, and spirit. The body is your flesh, the soul is the seat of your appetites, while your spirit is your intellect but can also be linked some to your desires. It is sometimes difficult to differentiate between the soul and the spirit. To commit your spirit unto the Lord you must know what he is saying and the only way you can do that is through reading and understanding his Word. You'll never understand it all and the treasures in it are so many that you can read a chapter over and over again and still gain something out of it. Too many today claim Christ but know little about his Word nor do they spend time in it. It is the most important piece of literature you can read, even more important than that newspaper or textbook. Yes, there are other things important as well, but not like the Bible that doesn't change and is your roadmap to eternal life. These other things are temporal and must be attended to but they are second place compared to the Bible.


 

You also must be willing to spend time with him in prayer. The church as a whole really don't know what prayer is anymore. True soul travailing prayer is hardly ever heard and spiritual warfare is not even mentioned. In order to tear down the strong holds of Satan, one must be able to pray in the spirit and be yielded to Christ else not much will happen. We are losing great battles in our nation because people are no longer doing this. Need I point out some? I five minute prayer in the morning doesn't cut it friends. You may think it does but it only makes you feel a little religious. A little short devotional in the morning won't do it. Oh it will sooth the conscience but that's all, nothing more. Many who think God is answering their prayers are really only having things fall as they would and they are duped into thinking that he is honoring them. I challenge you to study some of the lives of those who have gone on before us and sparked great revivals, even going back fifty or sixty years to those in your denomination if you have one that is centered around God's Word.


 

I know I'm sounding a little tart here but I must tell the truth. Let me also say that I am more and more aware of my shortcomings and that I must continue to strive as well. I realize that I've let God have second place at times when he needed and demands first. I also know that if we must do everything in love or it will avail nothing. I must continue to examine myself as I know that Satan walks about as a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour. Our nation is in trouble. The church is in trouble and much of it will fall into the one world church of the false prophet written about in Revelation but God will always have a remnant. Are you a part of his remnant? I hope so. We must "Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. When once the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and he shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are." (Luke 13:23-24) Let's strive together so we'll be ready when the Master comes!

No comments: