"And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed." Romans 13:11
Do you know what time it is? Are you aware of where we are in history? Do you have any idea what is coming upon the earth? Let me give you some answers if I may.
First, it is "high time," that is it is time to wake up out of slumber and spiritual sleep. We are not living in normal times but are on the edge of apocalyptic times, that is times that reflect direct prophesy in the scriptures. To put it plainly, we are near the tribulation period. Of course, how near is still the question but it is fairly certain we are near. We know this for several reasons:
- Israel has become a nation. Jesus said in Luke 21:29-31, "…Behold the fig tree, and all the trees; When they now shoot forth, ye see and know of your own selves that summer is now nigh at hand. So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand." Israel is the fig tree. Christ makes this plain in another place when he refers Israel as the fig tree in a parable found in Luke 13:7-9. "6 ¶ He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none. Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground? And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it: And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down." Here, it is believed that he was in his final year of ministry and after three years Israel had not excepted him, bearing fruit as a nation. THE FIG TREE HAS BLOSSOMED! Israel became a nation on May 14, 1948.
- The time frame is short once the fig tree blossoms. See what he says in Matthew 24:32-34. "Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh: So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors. Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled. (Italics mine). Bible scholars believe that once the fig tree blossoms then it is only a generation before all the prophecies regarding the final days and setting up of his earthly kingdom are fulfilled. Israel became a nation on May 14, 1948 as I stated earlier. That was almost sixty-three years ago. So how long is a generation? Good question but let's look at the scripture to get the answer. Moses writes in Psalm 90:10, "The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow." He said a generation or lifespan is 70 to 80 years. Yes, there are those who live longer but that's about the lifespan of a generation. This would put the final time to around 1928. Now, we are not setting dates but just calculating 80 years plus 1948. It may be longer and perhaps shorter as a person born in 1948 could live until 2048 longer so we don't really know, but we do know that things are not going on for a lengthy period of time.
- The forming of the European alliance rising up within the borders of the old Roman empire. This has happened as the economic power is being transferred from the United States to the European Union. When we look at Nebuchadnezzar's dream in Daniel chapter 2, we see where he saw two legs of iron which represent the East and West Roman Empires, then he saw the feet with the ten toes, mixed with iron and clay. From this, it is believed that the world will be ruled by the state rising up out of the old Roman Empire, which would probably be the European Union.
- The middle east countries, especially those surrounding Israel are falling and will probably be taken by the Islamic Brotherhood, bringing them under Sharia Law. This would mean that Israel would be surrounded by enemies whereas before, Egypt and Jordan were somewhat allies. This situation could easily cause Israel to one day make an agreement with someone who could "calm the storm" sort of speak. This is outlined in Daniel 9:27, "27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate." This would be referred to, as we know him, the anti-christ. He will make a covenant with Israel for peace and security but break this covenant in the middle of a seven year period or after three and a half years.
- The nations are aligning themselves up for the war mentioned in Ezekiel 38 and 39. Without going in to lengthy detail, the nations are aligning themselves up for battle as mentioned in Ezekiel chapters 38 and 39. These are main Islamic nations along with Russia. It is felt that this war may take place before the tribulation or just after the covenant with the anti-christ is made.
Whle there are many more signs that could be pointed out, you can see from these that it is time for us to wake up and take the things of God seriously. The Apostle goes on in Romans 13:12 to say, "The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light." It is time for us to live holy and strive to live according to God's Word. We must constantly examine ourselves and strive to walk closer to him as the day approaches. Jesus said in John 9:4, "I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work." This night may come sooner that we think so we must be about our Father's business while we can.