Saturday, May 14, 2011

Christ Will Keep Those Who Want to be Kept

"For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day." 2 Timothy 1:12

One of the biggest arguments raised to defend the Unconditional Eternal Security doctrine is that Christ is able to keep the soul from perishing. The last part of this verse is quoted to support this. As this is the Word of God, it is no doubt true. The fact that "he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day, " is right in that there is no danger in losing one's soul as far as Christ is concerned. The problem lies when we chose to leave him. John 10:27-28 state, "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand." It is correct that no can pluck you out of the hand of Christ but there is a condition and it lies in verse 27 which says, "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me." The sheep have to follow the shepherd in order to keep their souls. The shepherd will not leave them provided they follow them. Also, see what Christ said to the Church of Philadelphia: "Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown." Revelation 3:11 Can a man just walk up and take your eternal crown? No! But he can persuade you to follow heresy or influence your soul to the point where Christ is no longer your redeemer in heart, but only in word. "This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me." Matthew 15:8

Another argument states that if one lost his soul after being saved, it would make the Christ's sacrifice void. Yes, for that person it would, but at his own choosing however Christ still suffered on the cross and rose from the dead. This is a fact that cannot be reputed nor will his shed blood be void unless it is made void by a sinner refusing to come to him or a Christian backsliding and trampling under it. "For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame." Hebrews 6:4-6

Jesus said to the Jews that believed on him, "If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;" John 8:31b These Jews actually believed on him but when they were told that they needed to continue following him, then things changed. We read further down in verse 59 that they got so mad at him that they were getting ready to stone him. It's one thing to say a sinner's prayer, shake the preacher's hand, get baptized and receive the certificate, but it's another thing to actually follow him. Because of this erroneous teaching, millions have went to hell thinking they were saved just because someone told them that they were on their way to heaven since they said the prayer and got baptized. They were told that Christ is well able to keep their soul so not to worry about anything, even the way they live. While we don't worry about staying saved, we are to follow him which is not a grind but a pleasure and delight. I have even witnessed preachers of this persuasion tell demon possessed people that all they need to do is take advantage of their Christian rights that they received when they prayed several years ago and everything will be alright! Why do you think that God told the church of the Laodiceans that he was going to spue them out of his mouth. These were church folks like today. They went to church because they were partly hot but that's about all they did because they didn't think they needed anything yet they were unaware of where they really stood with Christ as they were blind to their own condition. Today is the same as we are in that age right now.

This doctrine is troubling to me because there are good men who teach this doctrine. There are men who are worthy of some respect in their knowledge of the Word who embrace this, but no matter what or whom, it is a grave error. Many hold this doctrine because it was taught them in their schools and seminaries and it is a convenient doctrine for these last days of lukewarm church goers. Don't be fooled by it. Get into the Bible. Live a separated life looking unto the Author and Finisher of the Word. "And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be." Revelation 22:12 Christ is well able to keep us, if we chose to be kept.

No comments: